The Community Food Co-op in Bellingham has announced its 2013 Community Shopping Day donation recipients.
Through the program, local organizations will receive 2 percent of the Co-op’s sales from both of its stores on the third Saturday of their designated month.
In 2012, the program donated more than $20,000 to local groups. In addition to the proceeds, participating organizations are able set up informational displays in both Co-op locations during their designated months.
The 2013 participants are:
– January: KMRE Radio 102.3 FM
– February: Northwest Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
– March: South Fork Valley Community Association
– April: YWCA of Bellingham
– May: Friends of the Nooksack Samish Watershed
– June: Friends of the Lynden Public Library
– July: Whatcom Peace & Justice Center
– August: La Leche League of Bellingham/Whatcom County
– September: Whatcom County Re-Entry Coalition
– October: Bellingham Childcare & Learning Center
– November: Washington Sustainable Food & Farming Network
– December: Make.Shift Art Space
The annual application period for the CSD program begins July 1 and ends Sept. 1. The Co-op’s board of directors selects 12 local organizations with a focus on food and sustainable agriculture, social justice, peace and human rights, ecological issues, education and community health.
Applications for the 2014 program are due to the Community Food Co-op by Sept. 1, 2013.
More information is available at www.communityfood.coop.