The Whatcom Dispute Resolution Centers has announced the award recipients for its Peace Builders Awards.
The winners will be recognized at the 16th annual Peace Builder Awards Gala, held at 5 p.m. on Nov. 16 at Settlemeyer Hall at Bellingham Technical College.
The recipients of the 2018 Peace Builder Awards are:
- Jill Iwasaki, education award: For partnering with families and communities in the Ferndale School District to address trauma, solve complex problems and support healthy youth development
- Skookum Kids, organization award: For connecting foster children in Whatcom County to safe and loving homes
- Dustin Willetts and the Kulshan Chorus, arts award: For using music to bring awareness about gender-based violence
- Students for Action, youth award: For leading inclusive community conversations about safe school environments
- Page and the Northwest Youth Services Queer Youth Project, program award: For using education, counseling, and advocacy to support LGBTQ youth
- Satpal Sidhu and the Healing Arch Project , reconciliation award: For memorializing the history, experience, and contributions of immigrants to Whatcom County
- Micki Jackson, healthcare award: For convening and fostering intergenerational dialogue about end-of-life and palliative care
- Jared Jones-Valentine and the Unity Coal Mine Bridge Project, collaboration award: For engaging community members in celebrating diversity and building neighborhood pride.
Tickets to the event are $60 and can be purchased at whatcomdrc.org.