Whatcom County will receive federal funds to supplement emergency food and shelter programs run by local nonprofit and government agencies during 2014, according to an announcement from United Way of Whatcom County.
Organizations, both public and private, interested in applying for funds must attend a technical-assistance meeting at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 30, at the YWCA of Bellingham, 1026 N. Forest St.
To register for the meeting, contact United Way at 360-733-8670 The deadline for completed applications is Wednesday, Nov. 13.
Under terms of the federal grant, local organizations chosen to receive funds must:
– Be private voluntary nonprofits or units of government
– Have an accounting system
– Practice non-discrimination
– Have demonstrated the capacity to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs
– If they are a private voluntary organization, they must have a voluntary board.
A local board will determine how the funds will be distributed.